From the article: Finding Out You're Having Twins
The discovery and confirmation of a twin pregnancy can be a shock like none other. It is a special moment in a family's history, a moment that changes everything. How did you find out you were having twins? Was it a surprise or suspected? Was it the successful outcome of a quest for reproductive assistance or a complete out-of-the-blue miracle? Share your story of how you found out about your twin pregnancy, how you reacted, and how you felt about the discovery. Share Your Story
HEALTHY TWIN GIRLS NOW AGE 30
- IT WAS MY FIRST AND ONLY PREGNANCY AND I WAS LAYING IN BED AT NIGHT READING A BOOK. I FELT THE BABY MOVE ALMOST UNDER MY RIBS. A FEW SECONDS LATER THE BABY MOVED BUT AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM THE FIRST MOVEMENT. I CALLED MY DOCTOR AND SAID I WANTED AN ULTRA SOUND. IT WAS GOOD THAT I WAS LAYING DOWN WHEN I FOUND OUT. THE TECH MOVED THE ROLLER OVER MY BELLY AND WE BOTH SAW TWO CIRCLES. I ASKED HER IF IT WAS WHAT I THOUGHT IT WAS AND SHE SAID MAYBE NOT. SHE FOUND ONE HEART THAT WAS BEATING AND THEN SHE FOUND THE OTHER HEART BEATING. I SHOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING MORE MOTHER LIKE BUT I SAID "SHIT". I WANTED MY HUSBAND TO SEE IT LIKE I DID SO WE PLANNED IT SO I COULD SEE HIS FACE. SHE ROLLED THE THING AROUND AND SAID THIS IS THE HEAD AND HE SMILED AT ME. THEN SHE ROLLED IT OVER THE TWIN AND SAID THIS IS THE OTHER HEAD. HE ALMOST LOOKED AT ME AGAIN BUT HIS EYES JUST ABOUT POPPED OUT OF HIS HEAD. I FELT HIS HAND GRAB THE EXAM TABLE AND HEARD THE PAPER UNDER ME CRINKLE. LOL
- —Guest SUZANNE
10 Week Surprise
- My husband and I went to my first ultrasound appt at 10 weeks. The doctor stuck the wand in and sure enough, there was our baby! Doc began pointing out the hands, feet, head, etc. and we were just staring at the screen, smiling and teary-eyed and in total awe. After about a minute she shifted the wand and then said, "Oh... how about 2 babies?" We both squawked, "WHAT?" and then the laughter and tears really started! This is our first pregnancy after over a year of trying to conceive naturally, and Hubby had been teasing me for weeks leading up to the ultrasound that I was having twins; and while they do run in my family, I never EVER thought I would actually see 2 babies on that monitor! As for twin clues, none! I thought my jeans were getting really tight way too soon, but I haven't been excessively nauseous or exhausted so I didn't even suspect. So now I'm just praying for a safe and healthy pregnancy for both of them. Due Nov. 11, 2013.
- —Guest Missy H
My daughter knew it
- I have one Daughter already. I found out that I was pregnant. Everyone knew about it. Now I got really big and my daughter kept saying it was twins so it turned out to be twins.
- —Guest Unknown
- When i went to the hospital and the doctor discovered that my stomach was to big than expected and was swelling legs so i was sent for a scan check that where i discovered i had twins
- —Guest philis mayoya
- i went to the hospital and confirmed after a serious morning sickness that took me for over 3months i used to vomit alot and i was bleeding to but after i saw the doctor i was given medication and it stopped.am now blessed with a babyboy and girl of 91/2 months
- —Guest mariam
How do u handle good news
- I went to the er cuz i was really concerned about the baby, when during the transvaginal ultrasound after a bout 20mins the tech says how do u handle good news, i ask why and it was becuz she didnt want me trying to sit up on the table, she then turned the screen n says heres baby A and click heres baby B, i was shocked and thrilled, im just about 20 weeks now n things r going well:) sry bout poor grammer phone typing
- —Guest Haley mac
I just knew:)
- My twins were fertility drug babies I was extremely sick with them and I just knew we would be in that 5% chance of clomid multiples well we were pregnant with triplets but lost one at 8ish weeks as at our 81/2 week scan we were left with 2. It was a bitter sweet moment knowing I had 2 healthy bubs that I had a gut feeling were there but saddened I had lost the triplet. They were born at 37 weeks and healthy there now 2 and love there big sis and we are 21 weeks pregnant with bub #4 it feels as though the triplet has come back to be born I know that sounds crazy lol but it brings me comfort.
- —Guest Cas
2 for the price of 1
- We were an older couple (45 & 59) when we finally got pregnant via IVF using donor eggs. Being older, they tracked things very closely with me, doing the 1st U/S at 6 wks. I had some bleeding the day before, and a previous miscarriage, so I was afraid to look at the monitor, for fear that something had gone wrong. My husband was watching closely, though, when the nurse pointed to the screen and said "there's 1 baby...and there's baby #2!" Once we were in the car, my husband told me "I didn't know WHAT I was looking at, I just knew I was looking at 2 of them!" We are now the enormously proud parents of 11-mo old boy/girl twins...absolutely worth the wait!
- —Guest Lisa
- Im 18 and my mother had collapsed and went into a coma I was at the hospital everyday for 3 weeks. I was horribly sick and lost 22lbs throwing up anything I ate. 10 days after she passed away I took a pregnancy test and it was positive the same day I went to the doctors and they told me I was 9w and 5days pregnant with fraternal twins. There my little miracles I'm now 28w and 4days and feel huge but great (: excited to have my boys
- —Guest samantham
At 21 weeks!
- About a week after finding out I was pregnant, I remember hearing the word 'twin' on the radio (not in reference to babies, I think it was a mattress commercial!) and I remember thinking "twins? crap what if it's twins?". We decided to move to another state to be closer to family once we knew we were expecting, so in the process of moving and such I didn't have my first ultrasound until 21 weeks. Up until that point I joked DAILY with my husband and family about how I needed to nap every day cuz the 'twins' were wearing me out, everyone laughed. When we finally scheduled an ultrasound, the tech said "did you know there are 2?" and I couldn't believe my ears!
shocks with twins
- I'm six weeks pregnant today and went in for my first visit, due to a lot of abdominal cramping. Husband and I talked wth the Nurse about our history and other info. The nurse then suggested an ultrasound, so a half our later lab test urine test and ultrasound was under way. Having an 11 yr old & 8yr old & never experienced this type of cramping and excessive morning sicknss. After the ultrasound the tech said: don't know if u knew but ur having twins with two heartbeats, me and my husband were shocked. I didn't know what to say or think. We are happy and feel very blessed. Too early in pregnancy to get too excited, but we know God is Good! Due May 15, 2013.
- —Guest Liz
I told you so
- I was 35 and getting married after finally finding mr. right, The wedding was planned and honeymoon booked when my calculations led me to believe I would be ovulating on our honeymoon , I told all my friends and family I would fall pregnant with twins on my honeymoon, they all laughed and said careful what you wish for .... One of my friends ended up being the sonographer the obstetrician sent me to for my dating scan , she started the ultrasound and within half a second she covered her mouth with her eyes sparkling and said "How many babies did you say you wanted ?......We have heartbeat one and heartbeat two"the moment was made so special because it was my friend who first saw my boys they were born healthy at 32 weeks and we would be lost without them.
Twins?? 5 months along?
- Alright mine is a bit of an odd situation. How can everyone miss 2nd baby from being seen or heard? Guess they were not looking for baby #2! Did the 8 week ultrasound at a fertility clinic & was told 100% only one, with inside vaginal wand, HA! Then when I went for 2nd ultrasound, over the belly @ 20 weeks along (5 mths), the tech was thrown back. Looked at me & said, " I don't think you know! Do you have someone with you that I can get?" I immediately thought something was wrong with my baby. Then my fiance came in, sat down, then she began moving & said, "Well, this is baby #1 & this is baby #2!" Needless to say my fiance's face was priceless, so was mine for that matter. I began to cry & laugh all at the same time. Both our hearts were beating 100 miles a minute. Our initial reaction was both at the same time. "You have to be kidding me right?" Then we all laughed. We were in complete awe, as everyone one had missed 2nd baby. What a miracle they are! 3 mths & growing well. ☺☺
- —Guest Manon Steve
Twins?? 5 months along?
- Alright mine is a bit of an odd situation. How can everyone miss 2nd baby from being seen or heard? Guess they were not looking for baby #2! Did the 8 week ultrasound at a fertility clinic & was told 100% only one, with inside vaginal wand, HA! Then when I went for 2nd ultrasound, over the belly @ 20 weeks along (5 mths), the tech was thrown back. Looked at me & said, " I don't think you know! Do you have someone with you that I can get?" I immidiately thought something was wrong with my baby. Then my fiance came in, sat down, then she began moving & said, "Well, this is baby #1 & this is baby #2!" Needless to say my fiance's face was priceless, so was mine for that matter. I began to cry & laugh all at the same time. Both our hearts were beating 100 miles a minute. Our initial reaction was both at the same time. "You have to be kiddling me right?" Then we all laughed. We were in complete aww, as everyone one had missed 2nd baby. What a miracle they are! 3 mths & growing well. ☺☺
- —Guest Manon
- In July of this year, I came down with strep throat and when I went to the doctor to get some medicine, they did a pregnancy test because even though I had been taking birth control, we had a 7th month old and I was nursing. So its easy to say I was shocked when the test was positive! It was most definately not part of our family plan to have kids so close, especially considering we were in the middle of PCSing to a new duty station and only had 4 weeks to pack and move. I went in for an ultrasound Aug. 13, and I thought how awesome it was going to be since my husband would actually get to go (he was deployed for our son's entire pregnancy and birth). When the ultrasound came up I knew right then, and he looked at it, tilted his head, and then the midwife said "awe there's two." I honestly thought I might get sick from the anxiety that overwhelmed me. Fraternal twins run in my family so I knew it was possible, but having an 8 month old at home makes it really scary, but it will be ok
- —Guest Jennifer S
1-15 of 85Next