The discovery and confirmation of a twin pregnancy can be a shock like none other. It is a special moment in a family's history, a moment that changes everything. How did you find out you were having twins? Was it a surprise or suspected? Was it the successful outcome of a quest for reproductive assistance or a complete out-of-the-blue miracle? Share your story of how you found out about your twin pregnancy, how you reacted, and how you felt about the discovery. Share Your Story
- I went to my first prenatal appointment at 7 weeks and 5 days. The reality of this unplanned pregnancy had just sunken in, as I had known for 2 weeks now that I was pregnant with what i thought would be baby #2.
As soon as my doctor put the wand inside me I saw 2 ginormous sacs and slowly, nonchalantly turned ny head in disbelief acting as if i didnt see it. Right away, my doctor asked if i had any twins in my family. In the meekest, and mildest baby voice ever, I whined, 'Noooo, is that what that waaas??'
She didnt respond and as I slowly turned my head back towards the screen, ifelt like I was in a dream, it was so surreal. Sure enough there where 2 sacs and 2 babies with flickering heart beats. I placed my hands on my head and said, "Dude, how did this happen?" Lol....for the next 30 minutes of the appointment i was in total shock. I didnt hear anything my doctor was talking about and i kept nodding my head and askig her random questions like, will i be able to breast feed TWO babies!
- —Guest MotherToBeOf3
Because I prayed and asked God for them
- I knew I was having twins even before I went in for an ultrasound because I prayed and asked God for boy/girl twins. The thing is, I didn't mention this to my husband. Well, he found out at our first ultrasound. I was not at all surprised, but he was a little. Well, guess what, it's been 13 years and you know what I'm praying and asking for girl twins now :)
- —Guest Toni
cried like a baby
- Was trying to be cheerful when in actual fact I was in turmoil. My cousin was with me in the room we all stared at screen. The sonographer asked if I knew what i was having and I said 'twins'. Soon as he said yes I cried like a baby.
- —Guest Helen
- I was going in for a normal doctor visit. The nurse asked if I had seen the baby lately. I replied no. She ran the ultrasound over my belly and said, I need to go get the doctor. I was worried. The doctor came in ran the scan and said. There's one head and there's two. You are having twins. I was four months along and there was no indication! I took the picture to my husband's work. I said look, he said another boy? We had a two 1/2 year old and a 1 year old boys already. I said look again. Twins!! He turned white and almost fell off the ladder. LOL. Now we have 14 and 12 year old boys and 10 year old twin girls.
- —Guest melissa
fraternal twin boys
- Twins run in my family, and I am actually a fraternal twin with a brother, I already have a five year old, and I found out I was pregnant about a week after I conceived, so called Dr, and at my appt my Dr was taking all my history and info, and sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound thinking I was further along or multiple pregnancy,I asked my daughter if she wanted us to have a baby and she said I was having two.lol as soon asthe tech put the wond on my belly there itwas two sacs,I was 6 weeks when it was confirmed by ultrasound.
- —Guest Ashley
how i found out
- I went for early US due to not sure when last period was as had travelled interstate.
The US lady said there are twinsand the poor I swore at I said the f word then I said sorry she gave me photo to take home to show dad and sisters to be.
He looked and said is there 2vi started crying and he jumped around loungeroom. And the girls aged 12 and 8 were so excited.
I had 2 healthy faternal twins born at 37.1 weeks and are 7 in febuary 2014. Don't know how I would live without them
- —Guest nicole
How do I know that I was having twin
- The movements of the baby in side my belly. First I thought that something is worng with my baby because of the movements all over my belly. Top bottom side to side I was so scared until I began to watch tlc ( a baby story) there I learn more and find out that i was having twin. Now this is my second pregnantcy and I'm not sure this trip are twin
- —Guest Nika
My husband said so
- Right from the time i realised i was pregnant, my husband always said i would give birth to twins but i always said it was not possible. I didnt go to d hospital til i was 8month becos i didnt want to know the sex of my baby,i just wanted it to be a surprise. It happened that i started urinating uncontrollably so i finally went,the doctor was shocked to hear i was just coming. All kinds of test were carried out on me and an ultrascan also was done and i was shocked to learn i was with twins,i regretted not coming earlier but they were fine and well positioned. A week later i went into labour and had normal delivery of a set of beautiful, identical, healthy twin baby girls. They weighed 2.6kg& 2.4kg respectfully.They are now getting to 2yrs and am now currently pregnant again since i didnt do family planning with twins ,this time boys. Its so unbelievable.
- —Guest Yuddie
- At my first appointment with my ob, I was seven weeks preg. And when he looked at the sonar he laughed at me. And I said, "What's wrong?" He said, "U r having twins."
- —Guest Ponsi
how i found out i was having twins.
- well im a identical twin and i thought the old wives tale was true that it skips a generation. i was lying in bed and my stomach had flutters so i pressed down to feel it and i felt two lumps and my heart skipped a beat. i made an appointment to visit my doctor and they told me a i was having twins!!!! fratenal twins a boy and a girl!!!
- —Guest barbara
My Mom used to tell us about it.
- I am a 55year old identical twin girl. When my Mom was expecting us there was not such thing as an ultrasound. When Mom was about 7 months along her doctor sent her to have an x-ray to see why she was getting so big.. Straight away they told her" Olive you are having twins" This is the part we loved the best. When Dad got home from work that evening she said to him "guess what" and Dad said, "it's twins". She was surprised he knew. She asked him how he knew. Lovingly he told her"you cant see how big you are." We were born in May, one of us 6lbs 5ozs and the other 6lbs. A pretty good size for twins.
- —Guest Julia
HEALTHY TWIN GIRLS NOW AGE 30
- IT WAS MY FIRST AND ONLY PREGNANCY AND I WAS LAYING IN BED AT NIGHT READING A BOOK. I FELT THE BABY MOVE ALMOST UNDER MY RIBS. A FEW SECONDS LATER THE BABY MOVED BUT AS FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE FROM THE FIRST MOVEMENT. I CALLED MY DOCTOR AND SAID I WANTED AN ULTRA SOUND. IT WAS GOOD THAT I WAS LAYING DOWN WHEN I FOUND OUT. THE TECH MOVED THE ROLLER OVER MY BELLY AND WE BOTH SAW TWO CIRCLES. I ASKED HER IF IT WAS WHAT I THOUGHT IT WAS AND SHE SAID MAYBE NOT. SHE FOUND ONE HEART THAT WAS BEATING AND THEN SHE FOUND THE OTHER HEART BEATING. I SHOULD HAVE SAID SOMETHING MORE MOTHER LIKE BUT I SAID "SHIT". I WANTED MY HUSBAND TO SEE IT LIKE I DID SO WE PLANNED IT SO I COULD SEE HIS FACE. SHE ROLLED THE THING AROUND AND SAID THIS IS THE HEAD AND HE SMILED AT ME. THEN SHE ROLLED IT OVER THE TWIN AND SAID THIS IS THE OTHER HEAD. HE ALMOST LOOKED AT ME AGAIN BUT HIS EYES JUST ABOUT POPPED OUT OF HIS HEAD. I FELT HIS HAND GRAB THE EXAM TABLE AND HEARD THE PAPER UNDER ME CRINKLE. LOL
- —Guest SUZANNE
10 Week Surprise
- My husband and I went to my first ultrasound appt at 10 weeks. The doctor stuck the wand in and sure enough, there was our baby! Doc began pointing out the hands, feet, head, etc. and we were just staring at the screen, smiling and teary-eyed and in total awe. After about a minute she shifted the wand and then said, "Oh... how about 2 babies?" We both squawked, "WHAT?" and then the laughter and tears really started! This is our first pregnancy after over a year of trying to conceive naturally, and Hubby had been teasing me for weeks leading up to the ultrasound that I was having twins; and while they do run in my family, I never EVER thought I would actually see 2 babies on that monitor! As for twin clues, none! I thought my jeans were getting really tight way too soon, but I haven't been excessively nauseous or exhausted so I didn't even suspect.
So now I'm just praying for a safe and healthy pregnancy for both of them. Due Nov. 11, 2013.
- —Guest Missy H
My daughter knew it
- I have one Daughter already. I found out that I was pregnant. Everyone knew about it. Now I got really big and my daughter kept saying it was twins so it turned out to be twins.
- —Guest Unknown
- When i went to the hospital and the doctor discovered that my stomach was to big than expected and was swelling legs so i was sent for a scan check that where i discovered i had twins
- —Guest philis mayoya