Some statistics from http://www.texaschildrens.org/carecenters/fetalsurgery/twin_twin_transfusion_syndrome.aspxTexas Children's Hospital, one of the leading medical centers in diagnosing and treating TTTS:
- 2/3 of all identical twin conceptions are monochorionic - or fetuses that share one placenta
- 10-15% of monochorionic twins are affected by TTTS
- 1,500-2,000 cases of TTTS occur each year in the U.S., making it more common than SIDS
- 90% of TTTS cases that go unchecked result in the loss of one or both fetuses.
- 25% of twins surviving untreated TTTS will experience neurologial compromise.
- In 60% of the cases of monochorionic twins who receive laser ablation to treat TTTS, both twins survive.
- 87% of children who received laser intervention to correct TTTS showed normal neurological functions at age 3.
Return to the FAQ Index
Got a question that's not answered here? Email me at email@example.com.