1. Parenting
Pamela Prindle Fierro

Poll: Do You Keep Your Infant Twins/Multiples on a Schedule?

By August 9, 2010

Many parents of multiples find that the secret to sanity is developing a schedule for their twins or multiple babies, allowing them to feed all the babies at the same time and encouraging the babies to all sleep at the same time. Yet, others decry this method, claiming that babies should eat when they're hungry and sleep when they're tired, based on their own needs, whether or not it coincides with their co-multiples' schedule.

What about you? Weign in with this week's Parent's Poll. Do you keep your infant twins/multiples on a schedule?

• Yes! We have a regular, timed routine for eating and sleeping, and we try to keep both/all of the babies on the same schedule.
  • Somewhat. We have a general routine that we follow, but we try to stay pretty flexible.
  • No! We feed on demand and let the babies fall asleep when they're tired, even if it means they sleep and eat at different times of the day
  • Other Please explain by clicking on "comments" and sharing your strategy.

What's the consensus?

• View Results.

• Comments
    February 19, 2007 at 4:53 pm
    (1) Vincent Iannelli, MD says:

Our identical twin boys (now 4 years old) were a little premature (34 weeks). After they came home from the NICU, they breastfed and slept on demand and eventually moved onto a very good and regular schedule of eating and sleeping and they did everything at about the same time of the day and night.

Maybe it was because they were identical, but with them, they stayed on the same ‘schedule,’ even though they were breastfeeding on demand.

October 2, 2007 at 3:07 pm
    (2) michelle abich says:

If it weren’t for a regular daily schedule, I’d have a nervous breakdown!

March 2, 2009 at 9:19 am
    (3) Liz says:

I think it’s critical for all of us. I’m a huge Weissbluth fan, and I think a regular sleeping and eating (and activity) schedule is super helpful for kids well-being. If they’re well-rested and have some sense of what’s coming, they’ll (generally!) be happier, calmer, and more able to enjoy and learn from the world around them.

And keeping both of them on the SAME schedule is critical to mommy’s sanity!

I will say, though, that in the newborn days it was more “routine” than “schedule.” I think earlier than 4 months (adjusted) is too young to be too strict by the clock. But still important for mom to keep both babies as close to the same schedule as possible!

March 3, 2009 at 4:56 pm
    (4) merin says:

My boys were 10 weeks premature, and they were on a schedule for 6 weeks in the NICU. Upon bringing them home, I continued that strict schedule (waking them every 3 hours to feed). Since then (they are now 2 1/2 years old), we have kept them on quite a tight schedule, and I credit that for the ease of sleeping schedules, etc. I don’t think I could handle each boy being on his own schedule!

March 3, 2009 at 9:12 pm
    (5) Kerry says:

Keeping up with a feeding schedule for one was challenging for me, I can’t even imagine twins! Since I was also tracking the heart medication used to treat her Wolff Parkinson White syndrom I used Baby Insights (www.babblesoft.com) to keep track of feedings, pumping, even dirty diapers!

March 4, 2009 at 2:49 pm
    (6) Amanda says:

We are very scheduled and it works well for us. The boys came out of the NICU on a schedule and we stuck with it. Of course there’s been some changes as their eating & sleeping habits change as they grow and develop. I have to do two – three meals a day, naptime, and bedtime by myself for the twins and my older daughter so schedule and predictability are key for my well-being and theirs too!

May 13, 2009 at 10:22 am
    (7) kelary says:

They were on the same scheudle up until about 5 months and then my girl twin started sleeping longer and less often, than her brother, who takes more and shorter naps. At first I was not happy, but, I enjoy having time alone with each one, and I move them around the house with me as I do housework and moving one is much easier than two. I wish they slept better at night. They both go down at 730 and wake about 130, and from there they are up 2 to 3 more times.

July 7, 2009 at 1:36 pm
    (8) josine says:

With 4 children under three years of age, of which the two youngest ones non-identical twins, a “flexible” scedule was the way to go for us. Flexible in the sense that we have a 10-15 minute flexible time period. It worked – and still works- for our eldest two and so we figured it would work for the twins. Shame that they are sooo different from eachother and that one decided to make fun at night- ALL night. Naps we are not so strict on, but feeding happens simultaneously , always, otherwise we are a 24/7 catering service.

March 25, 2010 at 10:11 am
    (9) Sandra Gilman says:

Our first children were fraternal twin girls. We are weissbluth fans and also babywise fans. The girls are 18 months old now and a schedule has not only made my life easier and more predictable but the girls also love their schedule and don’t like it when its disrupted. Being on a schedule removes those avoidable stresses so we can enjoy life and have a sense of humor about the unexpected happenings in a life with twins.

August 17, 2010 at 4:04 pm
    (10) Ciara says:

A schedule would have been a dream come true. The babies were different weights (2.7kg and 2.1kg) which seemed to make a huge difference. The smaller one took 1 and a half hours to drink 60ml, the bigger baby drank a bit faster. So sleeping and feeding were all over the place. Slowly got better. Then asthma took over our lives.

August 18, 2010 at 3:22 pm
    (11) gala says:

a schedule was necessary to ensure their survival when my – quite premature – twins came home. i was asked to track all input/output for months. i already spent most of the day & night feeding them and/or pumping. if they had not been on the same schedule chaos would have ensued. now that they are 31/2, they are still on the same general schedule, tho my son often fights sleeping, the household needs him to go to bed when his sisters (twin & 1 older) do.

August 21, 2010 at 10:06 am
    (12) Jenna says:

YES! Keeping the boys on a schedule was and still is VERY imortportant. When they were infants if one was hungry they were both woken up and I tandem fed them, then I pumped. Infants always sleep better when the are nice and full. If I didn’ do this I would feed one, pump,crawl back into bed start falling back asleep and the other would wake up. Which took much longer! Sleep was hard enough to find as it was. They also napped at the same time which allowed me some time to do chores or catch a few zzzz. The boys had severe sleep apnea so they often woke up in a jolt many, many times a night. Until they were 3 and they had their tonsils,and adenoids taken out and tubes put in their ears to drain all the fluid that would collect in their regularly during cold season.This was the best thin we could have ever done for them. They gained 12 pounds that year after surgery and have been sleeping soundly ever since. They are now 5 1/2 they even go to the bathroom #2 at the same time without fail, and we still keep a schedule when it comes to meals,and bed time routine. Its best for all of us. Kids need structure. They like to know what is going to happen next.

January 11, 2011 at 11:15 am
    (13) Shanna says:

My boy/girl twins were not on a schedule at first, but let me tell you, that changed really quickly. Saved my sanity. Thats for sure. They are still on a schedule at 2 1/2. Kids like structure, no matter what their age. I dont know that I would have made it past the infant stage if we did not implement a schedule.