Breastfeeding twins or multiples isn't impossible, but it can be challenging. These nursing accessories may prove helpful for moms of multiples who wish to nurse their twins, triplets or more.
1. Boppy PillowUse a boppy pillow to position and support your babies when nursing them both simultaneously. The U-shaped cushion fits around your waist, positioning the babies at the correct height for nursing to prevent strain and fatigue in your arms and back.
3. Nursing PadsBreastfeeding can create an embarrassing problem - leakage. use nursing pads to prevent leaks from seeping through your clothes, and also to protect sensitive nipples. Disposable pads are more convenient for busy moms of multiples; it's one less thing to launder.
4. Nursing BraYour pre-pregnancy bras just won't accommodate your breasts now that you're nursing. Get a nursing bra for support and comfort, as well as easy access to your breasts when it's feeding time.
Karen Kerkhoff Gromada's book, "Mothering Multiples," has long been regarded as a valuable resource for nursing moms. The new edition, released in 2007, gives lots of supportive and helpful advice. You can also find support and information online. Stop by the message forum to connect with other nursing moms of multiples, or browse the resources on this site.
7. Nipple CreamKeep yourself comfortable by having a soothing nipple cream on hand for those times when nursing hurts. You're more likely to stick with breastfeeding if you can keep your breasts in shape. A nipple cream containing natural lanolin will help prevent or treat soreness, dryness and chapping.
8. BottlesBottles may seem like an odd recommendation for breastfeeding moms, but many moms of multiples acknowledge that they can be very handy. Use them to collect and store breast milk for those times when mom needs a break. The Avent bottle system features a nipple style that most closely resembles nursing, to avoid the potential for nipple confusion.
keeping track of who did what and when. A Mother's Minder bracelet can be a helpful way for nursing moms to keep track of their feeding schedule. Available in blue or pink, you'll need one for each baby. A slider on the bracelet allows you to designate the timing of your baby's feedings.
What's your favorite "necessary-for-nursing" recommendation for moms of twins?