1. Health
Pamela Prindle Fierro

When Did You Find Out You Were Having Twins?

By March 19, 2012

Whether you know from Day One, or don't know until they are delivered, finding out that you are having multiples is a big shock! Some people find out early in the pregnancy and have plenty of time to plan, while others spend their pregnancy in blissful ignorance. What about you?

Poll: When Did You Find Out You Were Having Twins/Multiples?

View Results.
Share your story: How did you find out you were having more than one?

Comments
September 10, 2007 at 1:17 pm
(1) multiples says:

I found out at a routine sonogram at 20 weeks. I’d had a previous sonogram at 7 weeks, but it only disclosed “one” baby. Because the girls shared a placenta, they were positioned very close together and one fetus “shadowed” the other, making it impossilbe to see them both in that initial, early sonogram. By 20 weeks, however, it was VERY clear that there were two heads … four arms … four legs … etc! It was quite a shock!! My first reaction upon hearing the doctor say “It’s twins!” was actually relief. I’d been quite alarmed when he started the conversation by saying, “Here’s the first head … and here’s the second head.” Somehow, having twins seemed much more manageable than having a two-headed baby!

September 18, 2007 at 10:40 am
(2) LaTanya Wilson says:

My husband and I found out at a sonogram visit, the visit was to find out the sex of our baby, it became clear that we were having a boy to my husband and my delight, then the technichian started asking questions like “do twins run in your family” I started thinking why is she asking me this, it became very clear when my husband said, wait I see TWO HEADS! I almost jumped off the table. We were excited that we were having another baby boy!

September 18, 2007 at 12:36 pm
(3) Heather Louis says:

I found out in my 18 week, when they screened for defects. They thought that the baby had downsyndrome because the numbers were off. A nurse called me at home and informed me, very inpersonal. I nearly fainted. I was then sent to a specialist. And that’s when we saw my second son,fraternal boys.

October 8, 2007 at 11:43 pm
(4) Michele says:

I found out at 8 weeks, the first sonogram. My sonographer asked me if I was aware I was having twins. I asked, “Are you serious”. I took the day off work and stayed in shock for a couple of days. I was glad to find out early and have time to prepare. We met our fraternal sons 3 months ago.

October 9, 2007 at 10:03 pm
(5) Nora says:

I found out at my first visit. Being pregnant with them was so different from my other three I didn’t think I was pregnant. I thought I was starting menopause! I didn’t even realize I was pregnant until I was about 16 weeks along. Since I was coming in so late and not measuring right she decided to do a quick ultrasound. I went in still not really sure I was pregnant! She and the nurse kept frowning and cocking their heads at the screen without saying anything until it started making me nervous. Finally the midwife said, “It almost looks like two, doesn’t it?” They seemed to serious I just didn’t get it. “I asked two what?” expecting some sort or horrible news like two heads or hearts or something. She said, “Well, two babies.” I sat bolt upright and yelled “Two REAL babies?!” They probably still get a chuckle out of my reaction.

October 10, 2007 at 4:12 pm
(6) Hazel says:

My husband and I had been home for 2 days from our “babymoon” in Mexico, where I climbed some ruins at Chichen Itza in 90 degree weather when we found out at the 20 week routine sonogram. We thought we were going to find out if “junior” was a boy or a girl – What a shock when the technician swiped the scanner over my stomach and, when I asked, “What is that?” did she reply, “Your babies.” The look on our faces were priceless, Im sure, as she responde, “Oh my goodness. You didn’t know you were having twins, did you?” At 7 weeks I had a sonogram but only one baby showed up in the pictures. The girls were so close together that, for months, only one was thought to be there, with a “very very strong, loud heartbeat.” Additionally, my doctor claimed that never in her history has she misdiagnosed a multiple birth until me because I carried like I was only have one. Well, it was the shock of our lives and has been the greatest joy of our lives. My sister also recently found out that she was having twins but, at 7 weeks.

July 14, 2009 at 10:58 am
(7) Meg says:

I live in Southeast Asia. I had this really weird feeling from the very start. I had this inclination that I was having twins. I already had two other children (not twins), a boy and a girl, and this pregnancy felt way different. Everywhere I turned it seemed I saw twins. I read a fiction story in which the main character surprisingly had twins. The media was all abuzz with Brad and Angelina’s twins. My friend told me she wished she could have twins, and I proceeded to tell her I wouldn’t know what I would ever do if I had twins. Even the people on Star Wars had twins!!! They were everywhere, and my whole family was joking that “this time you will have twins!!” I went in for a routine prenatal visit upon which the doctor told me she heard only one heartbeat. My ultrasound was later that day. The technician scanned my stomach and said “You are only having one.” May I remind you that I am in a third world country. Then….. as he moved across my stomach, I saw TWO circles. Having had 2 children already, I had never seen this on an ultrasound. I said, errrh….rather shouted, “What was that???!?!!!!???” Then he said, “Wait….I was wrong, you are having two!!” Then he started jumping up and down exclaiming how lucky I was. At first I was thinking, “How old is your equipment??” and “Where were you trained to be a doctor??” I thought maybe being in an underdeveloped country, with a poor medical system, he might be somehow mistaken. But he wasn’t, and oh what a true joy and blessing having TWO babies to love and kiss on is today!!! Twice the love and fun!!!

July 14, 2009 at 11:45 am
(8) Kim says:

I was going for a routine sonogram, my husband had a meeting he couldn’t get out of so I went alone, no big deal right?!? The dr. started on one side of my belly and said “oh the baby looks good” then continued across the middle to the other side where he let out a big, happy “uh oh”. I immediately sat up and asked what was wrong, he smiled and said, ” you’re having twins!” I fell back on the table, turned really white and he wouldn’t let me get up for about 10 minutes! I was suppose to leave a voicemail for my husband to let him know how everything went. I didn’t think telling him we were having twins was something to leave on voicemail so I went to his office, interrupted the meeting, pulled him to the side and told him. He had to sit down really quick! Everyone in the room was listening in and started cheering when they heard what I had said. It was really cool. Now I have 19 yr. identical boys!!

July 28, 2009 at 8:23 pm
(9) Jaime says:

I went in for a sonogram at 5 weeks and the doctor told me she saw two sacs but only one had a baby in it. That the second sac was much smaller and appeared empty. Then when my fiance and I went in for my 10 week visit I asked to have a sonogram (they werent going to do one that day) and the doctor said “oh you are having two babies!” I guess the other baby just wasnt ready to show itself yet!

May 16, 2010 at 3:47 pm
(10) Shawn J. says:

I’m currently 22 weeks pregnant. I feel movements above where the uterus is suppose to measure for my gestational age. Could I be having twins?

December 21, 2010 at 9:54 pm
(11) Mommy2twingles says:

Having given up hope on ever having another baby with out the help of fertility, I had resided to being the mom of an only child. My second preganacy, after a 7 year gap, came as quite a shock. When I was 6 weeks along, my mom looked at me and said “You’re having twins.” I laughed it off, and waited for my first ultrasound appointment at 8 weeks. While making small chit chat with the tech, I began telling her how hard my sister had it with four kids, who were all two years apart. She kept snickering as I was talking, but passed it off to my sister’s predicament. After what seemed like a long time, I began to get a bit worried, and asked if everything was okay. She turned the monitor to me and said “Everything is fine. Here’s baby A, and here’s baby B. Did you have any idea you were having twins?” By the time I got out to the front desk, the word had spread. I called my hubby, who couldn’t make it to this appointment, then drove to my mom’s office. I slapped the ultrasound picture down on her desk, and asked “Do you want to tell me the sex of the twins, too?” She smiled at me and said “Nope.” My fraternal twin girls joined their 8 year old sister that summer.

October 6, 2011 at 7:44 pm
(12) Ashlee bertram says:

I found out I was having twins at 20 weeks I was
shocked that I was having twins never thought it
would happen. I was blessed I was healty and never
was put on bed rest. The day I went in to have
my csection it was scary but I was so happy and
excited and terrified that something would go wrong
The boys my twins were perfect at 7lbs. 5 oz and
6lbs 2oz. I had no trouble at all with them… Im truely
blessed!

March 20, 2012 at 10:31 pm
(13) tamera says:

There is an ultrasound picture on this website that a girl i know is trying to claim as her own, she even altered it and put her name on it. This person is even using it as her Facebook pic. Check it out. Its krystal white wilson.

March 27, 2012 at 11:57 am
(14) Jessica says:

I found out I was having twins at my 1st Dr.’s appointment at 12 weeks. My Dr. told me that I looked a little big for 12 weeks, and she wanted to do a quick ultrasound to make sure she had me due date correct (unbeknownst to me at the time, but she was also looking for more than one baby). As soon and the picture came up on the screen, my Dr. asked “do you see what i see?” I looked and exclaimed “are there 2 in there?!?!” She said yes, and I instantly began crying tears of joy.

July 3, 2012 at 11:58 pm
(15) Proudmamma says:

I knew I was having twins before I saw the dr. I remember having these painful cramping obviously when I was conceiving I was in tears I was like something is wrong. I soaked in the bath but continued to have extremely different pains and cramps. I have 2 previous pregnancies both one baby. I found out at 4 weeks saw 2 sacs both with the yolks in them. I told the technician I just had a bizzare feeling. I don’t know I think sometimes you just know.