1. Parenting
Pamela Prindle Fierro

Quints by Surprise

By August 30, 2010

TLC is the network that brought us megafamilies like the Duggars (19 kids including twins), the Gosselins (twins plus sextuplets), the Hayes (two sets of twins plus sextuplets) and the Roloffs (twins). Now they introduce us to another brood. This time it's a family with a set of "only" five  multiples -- Quints by Surprise.  Ethan and Casey Jones wanted a brother or a sister for their a six-year-old daughter Eliot. Instead, they got quintuplets: Brooklyn, Ryan, Jack, Britton, and Lila. Their show premiered on Monday, August 30th, with new episodes airing in September.

Comments
August 31, 2010 at 8:23 pm
(1) Lynne Calderwood says:

What a joy to have another family to watch. Another set of parents so loving and together. What an inspiration they are to me. Just in life in general. My four are grown and sadly so……don’t we all wish they could be little once again. This new program will prove to be another ride of joy for all who watch. Love you guys…..

September 6, 2010 at 10:44 pm
(2) Phyllis B. hardison says:

I love watching your show, but noticed a couple of the cribs are very close together. This concerns me. My cousin had twins and when they were 15 months old, the girl climbed out of her crib and there was a chest next to it. She got caught between the chest and the crib and broke her neck. She died and I always think of her when I see nurseries that furniture is too close together. Good luck to your family. The children are precious.

September 14, 2010 at 5:15 pm
(3) Candie says:

How predictable but unfortunate that we have yet another family of multiples who has chosen not to accept responsibilty for their children.

Children don’t have a choice in this, but any reasonable parents would see that reality tv is not the way to go. Once again, we have innocent children who are supporting their lousy parents.

September 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm
(4) Pam says:

Vote with your remote!
Don’t watch the show and allow these children some sense of privacy.
I’m tired of these reality tv families that expect the world to assume responsibilty for their litters.

September 20, 2010 at 10:53 pm
(5) Momof2girls says:

Most irritating show on TV. Families aren’t this dysfunctional. The jones’s need to cut up the contract and have a normal life, that is, assuming they love their kids more than fame. The babies aren’t happy. They cry ALL of the time. Tonight was my first time watching and I wanted to slap every person on the show. Idiotic. I found the Jones children to be annoying as he’ll.

September 20, 2010 at 11:00 pm
(6) Angels says:

The kids cry too much. This is the most nerve grating show on TV. The parents should be ashamed of parading their very young, extremely dysfunctional family for all to see. Watch the Duggars. Their children are happy and don’t freaking cry all of the time. The joneses are terrible parents and should not be role models for anyone. In fact, I’d rather watch Kate plus eight or have acid poured into my eyes than suffer through another 30 seconds of dysfunctional chaos and crying children that are not consoled by the parents. Same thing with the mom who let her newborn cry in the grocery store. I was fortunate enough to get behind them in the checkout line znd put the sweet baby’s pacifier in it’s mouth. The mother never knew. She never even noticed the baby wasn’t screaming anymore. Parents like the joneses and the woman in the grocery store should not have kids.

September 21, 2010 at 12:12 am
(7) Kristin says:

Nasty Much you hateful viewers? Now i would agree that i personally would never have my family/children on tv on a reality series…after the jon and kate thing, but why so nasty when talking about the crying kids? I watched 3 episodes tonight for first time and the crying was annoying and i’m not so sure i’ll watch anymore but to call this family dysfuntional doesn’t even make sense. Do you even know what the term means? And i also saw both parents, often the dad, console the crying babies almost every time they cried. Some people just like to log on and be rude and nasty with their words. What a shame…..best of luck to this family, but i’m quite certain a reality series isn’t the best choice for a family of young children…

September 21, 2010 at 7:57 pm
(8) Lisa says:

Just watched the episode downsizing to a new home. OMG. Our house is the size of any of those garages! Most Americans laundry rooms are in the corner of the basement. Give me a break. They seem a bit spoiled to me and she gets to be a stay at home mom. O well – life of the rich and famous.

September 21, 2010 at 10:37 pm
(9) kris says:

While I agree that doing this show is probably not in this families long term advantage, some of the horrible things being said are way out of line. To the people who think the quints cry too much…I assume you to be childless? Hello, babies cry. Sometimes a lot. They have 5 babies. This does not make them bad parents. Just regular parents. And to the woman who stuck a pacifier in a babies mouth in the checkout lane? Well that is disturbing on many levels. You are lucky the mother didn’t see you do that. Anybody who has children has had this happen to them. Would it have been better to hold up everyone in the checkout line while she took her baby out of the car seat, just to turn around and put the baby back in a minute later? No, you would have been mad at her then too. Let me tell you what was going through that mother’s head…feeling frazzled and frenzied…hurrying like mad, trying to get through the checkout and into her car where she can tend to her babies needs. Your judgmental attitude toward that which you know nothing about is sad. Parenting is difficult. Life with small children is stressful enough without having to face the wrath of idealists who think they know best about other peoples children. Yes, I was the perfect mother and had all the answers before I had children. Cut this family some slack!

September 22, 2010 at 2:48 am
(10) Raven says:

I watched this program for the first time the other nite and have nothing positive to say except that the kids are cute when they are not crying. The show seemed to circle around the fact that they were losing their home and his lack of income to support all these kids that they created. Why didn’t they think of this before they made them? They looked at homes with a realtor that looked pretty nice, but none of them were good enough for them. The real kicker is that they were puppy shopping in the next episode!! What are they thinking?! Six kids, 5 of which are infants, losing their home, and now throw a new puppy into the mix? Good Lord. Hope this show is dropped until this couple can get themselves in order. They need to get some advice from the Duggars.

September 24, 2010 at 5:40 pm
(11) Pam says:

Love this show. At least Casey isn’t on Ethan’s butt all the time complaining about everything. I got so sick of Kate belittling Jon it is no wonder he got a divorce. Kids cry because they are kids. They are in one room most of the time because you have to have 5 kids corralled or you would never know where they are. Kate Plus 8 sucks she has the whiniest twins I have ever heard. I would be telling Maddie to suck it up.

September 27, 2010 at 4:44 pm
(12) Hope says:

I am really glad that none of you are God and can rightfully judge people. The comments on this site, for the most part, are rude and uncalled for. You must be bored with nothing better to do in your lives than knock other people down. With friends like you, who would need enemies? If you don’t like the show, don’t watch it. If you don’t have anything kind to say, don’t say it.

September 28, 2010 at 1:04 pm
(13) Jess says:

I thought the show was great!

September 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm
(14) Ally says:

I want to say that people out here are so judgmental, angry and hateful people. Guess what, babies cry!! Going through a move is stressful under the best of circumstances and they are already stressed to the max. Babies can sense the stress and can be extra cranky. Get over it! I also would like to point out that she (Casey) unlike many of these other celebrity higher order multiple moms, she did not have many “embyos” implanted in her uterus, it was intrauterine insemination. She does get fertility meds to increase egg production so that insemination is more successful, but, she did not “choose to have 5 embyos implanted!” Hence the title, Quints by SURPRISE. I also would like to add that this couple is one of the few genuinely kind and sweet parents on television. Ethan had been very successful professionally, until his business took a hard hit in the economy. Casey worked aswell. She can’t work now. Childcare alone would negate any benefit to her working. THEY ARE OWNING THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES!!! Ethan went back to school and now has an MBA to improve his families finances.
This family is hardworking, intelligent and sweet. They are doing for themselves. AND they did not implant tons of embryos and end up with 6 or 8 children. IUI is very different. Know what you say before you say it or you only make yourself look like a FOOL!

September 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm
(15) A Viewer says:

The parents need to grow up and stop expecting the world to cater to their abnormal family.
Yes, the babies are always crying and it gets old. They are not cute, is it some sort of disability?
I am sickened to see another family selling their children. Ethan and Casey have issues, their marriage won’t last.

September 30, 2010 at 2:54 am
(16) annalise says:

This show is annoying. The kids cry all the time. This show gets old fast. I like sextuplets take New York. They seem like a more down to earth family and their kids aren’t constantly crying. There is a lot of love and a lot of laughter in this show.

October 5, 2010 at 8:06 pm
(17) A.Roddy says:

Hope im glad none of the so called Christians are God who judge others for living differently. These shows are getting old fast. If you can take care of them yourself, I applaud you but most cant. If you use fertility treatments or drugs it shouldn’t be a surprise . Hello fertility drugs increase eggs. It doesn’t take a genius to figure these were no surprise. I wonder how many on here have watched five babies at once 24/7. TLC makes it look easy. Of course they use the Quiverfull reference as an excuse. Folks need to quit using religion as an excuse to be irresponsible. I consider none of them role models, not even the Duggars. Its like saying have multiples or dozens of kids and you may get a series. They never think about those who struggle with being childless or infertile in a kid crazy world. Get the kids off tv.

October 5, 2010 at 8:14 pm
(18) A.Roddy says:

Kris the public is very insensitive to infertile people and childless by choice like i mentioned. Non parents and even other parents are tired of being disrupted by crying infants and toddlers and unruly kids. Our childless states are not relevant. Yes we know babies cry its not their fault but the parent’s. The poster was irritated the parents aren’t considerate of others . It seems you have judgmental attitude toward non-parents. Not all are kid crazy.

October 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm
(19) judy says:

As a married woman who struggled with infertility for 5 years before having my daughter through IVF, it bothers me that people are having litters of children. We are not dogs and are not meant to have a litter at one time. Why is it that only after the children are here, do the parents think of how they will be supported?With multiples, the risks to mom and babies are great. Cases like these make people question the intention of infertility treatment.
Even with the Duggars, honestly the older girls seem to be paired up with a baby to take care of. That is not the daughters children but the mothers. If you don’t want to take care of them then don’t have them. It is not possible for one mom to care for 5 babies at a time.
Just because you CAN have many children doesn’t mean you SHOULD.

October 18, 2010 at 1:39 am
(20) Nathan says:

So, let me guess you are all Kate fans. Give me a break, this is probably the most normal family on tv and hello but babies cry and so do you. I love this show because of the fact you don’t have a mother yelling every two seconds at the husband. They do things together that they enjoy, they are trying to make things better for themselves. It isn’t like they ask for sooo many babies and it isn’t like he knew the economy was going to go down, **** happens but don’t ever judge someone else, your lives aren’t perfect.