1. Parenting
Pamela Prindle Fierro

Forum Friday: Mirror-Image Twins

By February 20, 2009

Amanda writes: "Anyone have twins with mirror image twinning? How common is it? What characteristics were mirrored in your twins? We're noticing it some with the boys. Their hair parts at the crown in opposite directions. Mason seems to favor his right hand and Logan his left - although it's certainly still too early to make any calls on their handedness."

Mirror-image twins are monozygotic (identical) twins that develop asymmetric features. They may have different hand preferences, hair whorls that turn in opposite directions, birthmarks on opposite side of the body, or other features. It's an interesting phenomenon, and parents of these twins have some interesting stories to report! Be sure to stop by the message forum and read about them.

What about you? Do your twins show mirror-image tendencies? Leave a comment or share your thoughts on the message forum.

More Resources:
Unique & Unusual Types of Twins
Handedness in Twins
Comments
February 24, 2009 at 10:46 am
(1) Gracw says:

Being a twin is just incredible

July 2, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(2) Lauren says:

I think me and my twin are mirror image. We are both girls, I am right-handed, she is left handed, i am more left-brained (more mathematical) and she is more right-brained (artistic). We both enjoy the same recreational activities, friends etc but have slightly different personalities. We are very close. I am right handed, she is left handed. I am slightly bigger than her, but most people cant tell the difference when they meet us. Being a twin rocks. U just couldnt find a better friend!

July 27, 2009 at 5:05 pm
(3) Doris Laird says:

My 15-year-old grandsons are “mirror” twins. One is right-handed, but left brained; he excels in math and science, loves puzzles and has strong gross-motor skills. The other is left-handed and right brained; he excels in language, art and music and has strong fine-motor skills. They look very much alike are almost identical in height and weight and both are very good students.

They’ll be sophomores in high school this fall; one plans to major in engineering in college, the other wants to be an attorney.

It’s been really interesting watching them grow and develop.

Oh, one other difference of note: since infancy, the right-handed twin has needed more sleep than his brother.

October 28, 2009 at 1:10 pm
(4) Lori says:

I think my identical twin girls are mirrored. They are six and in first grade now. One is left side dominant and the other right. They have strabismus (lazy eye) and for each the strong eye is the same as the dominant hand. Their teeth came in opposite most of the time but not always. Their hair whorls are not opposite though and only one has any little moles. They were in the same placenta but separate sacks. Their cords were placed directly opposite each other, partially on the wall but partially on the membrane separating them. The specialist was worried about them being delivered at the same time so the placenta wouldn’t be pulled away from the cord of the second baby. After delivery my doc said they could have transfused (but didn’t) although they were not in the same sacks because of it. It is all such a mystery!

January 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm
(5) Betty says:

My twin girls are identical. The doctor told me they were mirror image twins before they were born. Mandy is left handed and Missy is right. Both have identical birthmarks on oppisite sides of the body. When the teeth came in the same teeth came in at the exact same time. They are 28 now and still live together.

January 20, 2010 at 5:27 pm
(6) Ashley says:

I have 6 and 1/2 month old mirror image twin boys. They have crowns on opposite sides of their head, definitely prefer one hand over the other (though too early to tell handedness), one got bottom left tooth first, one got bottom right tooth first, they even often sleep with opposite legs and or arms in exact opposite position. It always looks like a mirror of each other. It is so interesting and truly fun to watch!!! They do however have very slight differences in height, and differences in sleep patterns and personality already. Such cool little men!!!

February 13, 2010 at 11:58 pm
(7) Janet Blanchard says:

My 14 year old daughters are mirror image: I was >35, so I thought they were just twinning because of my age. However, as idscordant twins they didnt look alike until they were about 4 months old. I had them tested and they WERE identical. They hair whorles in different directions, were different as night and day: one a happy go lucky, the other a dark personality -as infants. When they were 3 they both had stomach flu at the same time. One would scream bloody murder until she vomitted, the other would simply turn her head silently to the side to vomit. They developed right and left handedness. The most amazing thing was that the teething patterns were identical day, Identical tooth, OPPOSTIE sides!! One has the type A personality, one the type B. They are amazing, and noteable.

May 7, 2010 at 2:48 am
(8) Abi says:

me and my twin sister are mirror twins and now that we are 15 we have been asked loads of questions… why is one of you left handed and one right handed? why are you opposite in how you are and what you do?? so i explain to them about us being mirror twins but i have never been told about it and how it occurs myself. Another thing is that when we were born she was born with all the heart problems and i with all the lung ones, but as we grew older it has been more recognizable, but together we confuse so many people it is funny,even though they notice our mirror habbits. One time we even wrote with the opposite hand and it did work for a bit but the scruffiness of it was a bit obvious.